Friday, February 3, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup witth Kale


The hubby and I have been sick for the past two weeks. First Alex, then me.. Sort of.

 I've been riding the fence between sick and healthy. Not quite sick but just off!

C'est La Vie.

So it was off to the kitchen with me to make some chicken noodle soup. I found a basic recipe on one of my faves, Brown Eyed Baker and made some additions to add a few more vitamins! Some kale which is high in vitamin C, calcium, and potassium; Garlic which has selenium to help detox the liver, zinc, which is supposed to help reduce the duration of a cold and (of course) more vitamin C. I then added some diced green onion for color and purely because Alex asked for it. 

The soup turned out tasty if a little under seasoned. I think this will be my go to recipe for a warm comforting meal when I'm under the weather! It's the perfect combination of two of my new favorites...Kale and Soup! It lasts for about 3 days for 2 people and freezes well.

Chicken Noodle Soup with Kale:
Recipe Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker 

2-3 Leaves of Kale, Chopped or approx. 1 1/2 C. pre-chopped kale
3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
1 Large Carrot, Sliced to about 1/4 in. thick
1 Stalk of Celery, Sliced a 1/4 inch thick
12 C. or 3 Quarts of Chicken Stock
3 Chicken breasts Grilled and shredded or cut up into small pieces
2 C. of Fusilli pasta
1/4 C. Minced fresh Parsley
3 Green Onions, thinly sliced
Garlic Powder, Salt and Black Pepper

Directions:
Heat a Soup pot or large stock pot. Add the onion, carrots, kale, celery and minced garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes.
Season vegetables lightly with salt and pepper then add in chicken stock and chicken meat.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let it continue simmering for 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir in the Fusilli pasta, and let cook for 10-12 minutes until Al Dente.
Stir in the parsley and green onion.
Taste and then season with salt and pepper if needed.

Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes so the flavors can meld. Serve and Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment