Monday, August 22, 2011

Sweet Potato Coriander and Lentil Stew

Soup is one of those great things that I never used to appreciate as a kid. I guess there’s just something about it that didn’t appeal to my young taste buds. As an adult and especially since getting married and learning how to run my own household I have found a new love in soup. It is a filling, easy and very flexible dish that can last for 3 to 4 days or more, which when you have a particularly busy week is a VERY  "Good Thing" (to quote Martha Stewart).
About a year ago I received Jillian Michael's Master your metabolism cook book as a gift from my sister Christina, and unfortunately have not used it until now. I don’t know if you could tell, but I Love sweet potato!! So when I saw this recipe I new I had to make it. So glad i did, it was delicious and a great introduction to lentils as well. i hope you will try it as a healthy, vegetarian, but very yummy dinner option.


Sweet Potato Coriander Lentil Stew 
Adapted from Jillian Michael's, Master Your Metabolism 

Ingredients:

2 Tbs Olive Oil 
1 Lb Brown Lentils 
2 Carrots, Chopped
2 Stalks Celery, Chopped
1/2 Red Onion, Chopped
1 Clove of Garlic, Minced
1 Fresh or Dry Bay Leaf
7 C. Water
1 Large Sweet potato (about 1 Lb), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 (14oz can) Diced Tomatoes
1 Tbs Fresh Lemon Juice (or lime).
1/2 C. Fresh Cilantro, chopped. 
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
8 Tbs. plain low fat yogurt for serving

Directions:

Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add celery, red onion, and carrots, cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, and cumin, cook for 30 seconds more. Add the lentils, water, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer, cover and continue cooking for 10 minutes before adding sweet potatoes. Cook for another 12-15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are just tender. Stir in tomatoes with their juice, the lemon or lime juice, salt and black pepper. Taste and adjust lemon juice and salt if you feel it needs more. Serve with yogurt and extra cilantro. Serves 8. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. I'll definitely be trying this, it sounds delicious! Keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete